“The Super Samoan” Mark Hunt released a sigh of frustration when he was informed that his recent opponent and former training partner Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva had tested positive for banned substances during his post-fight drug test following UFC Fight Night 33.
But Hunt can look on the bright side. The UFC has ordered Silva’s share of their Fight of the Night bonus to be awarded to Hunt, making him $50,000 richer.
“I haven’t heard anything,” he told MMAjunkie, and then laughed. “Hell yeah.”
Hunt (9-8-1 MMA, 4-2-1 UFC), who engaged in a gory and exciting draw with Silva (18-5-1 MMA, 2-2-1 UFC) at the Dec. 7 event, was awakened after receiving a massage.
When Hunt was informed that Silva had been granted a therapeutic-use exemption by the UFC, he stated, “S–t, I need to get on some of this s–t. F–k, I don’t know how these guys are doing this s–t. I should get some of that s–t, too.
“That’s news to me. I haven’t heard anything of it. I don’t know what to say, honestly. I don’t know what it is, but kudos to me for the bonus, eh?”
Silva and Hunt have been praised by UFC President Dana White, and many fans, stating by some that it was the best heavyweight battle to ever take place inside the octagon. White originally granted both fighters the “win” portion of their fight purses and even took it one step further stating he would buy them both an island.
Both combatants showed much improvement coming off of loses, Silva was finished for a second time in a rematch with champ Cain Velasquez, while Hunt was knocked out by ex-champ Junior dos Santos, which snapped a four-fight win streak.
Hunt’s return to the octagon has yet to be scheduled, as he’s sidelined until further notice mending a broken hand that he received during the battle.
All that being said, what do you think about the bout, now that Silva’s test results have been released?
(Quotes via MMA Junkie)Tags: Antonio Silva, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Mark Hunt