By Jamie McAllister
Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos will headline the fight card planned for Dec. 29, 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada. However is opponent is still not confirmed Cain Velasquez spoke out earlier this week asking what the hold up was with the title shot.
UFC President Dana White broke down the situation in the media scrum following the UFC On FOX 4 Post-Fight Press Conference. White stated that the UFC Heavyweight Champion wants Alistair Overeem next.
“I sat down with Junior dos Santos yesterday, the nicest guy in the world, right? Seriously, you’ve all talked to him, he’s the nicest guy in the world. He said, ‘I have nothing but respect for Cain Velasquez, as a person and as a fighter, and I think he deserves the shot at the title, but I do not want to fight him,’ which is not what he said a month ago. He said, ‘Alistair Overeem is a punk, he’s got a big mouth, he’s been saying lots of bad things about me, and I want to knock him out and I want to knock him out now.’ And I said, ‘Junior, I like that. Alright.'”
White went on to say that this does not necessarily mean that the bout will be booked. However he confirmed he would seriously consider Dos Santos request as he “is a guy who’s done everything we’ve ever asked of him, and he’s never asked anything of us.”
“He’s my heavyweight champion. He’s one of those guys who, like Frankie Edgar, is a guy who’s done everything we’ve ever asked of him, and he’s never asked anything of us, so when a guy like him comes to me and wants something, yeah, I have to consider it. I don’t know, he wants the fight. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening, I’m just saying to you that that’s what he’s saying. He’s saying that he wants this fight, [dos Santos’ management was] blowing me up saying they wanted to meet with me, we went to lunch yesterday and he just went off on what a punk he thinks Alistair Overeem is and how bad he wants to knock him out.”
For all the latest MMA news and fight updates stay tuned to BJPENN.COM