Although UFC President Dana White seemed to change his tune after irately criticizing Georges St. Pierre after St. Pierre spoke of walking away from the sport, it seems as though his comments still stand.
White went on “UFC Tonight” and said “here’s the reality: Georges St-Pierre took almost a year and a half off and he’s had two fights [St. Pierre has actually fought three times] since then because he blew his ACL out.”
“When you fight in this sport, there’s a small window of opportunity for people, and there’s a lineup right now of people who want a shot at that 170-pound title, White added. “You can’t just say, ‘I’m going to take off and put this on hold because I have personal problems.’ You can’t do that. No, you cannot.”
White reiterated that he has respect for the champion when he said “first of all, I’m the guy who talks about GSP all the time. Talks what an amazing champion he’s been… how he represents the sport, the title, the brand, his country, his list goes on and on.”
He still believes that St. Pierre made a mistake with his comments after the fight and said, “[St. Pierre] Shouldn’t have said it, [it] didn’t make sense, and it left everyone wondering what was going on, including me.”
White even revealed that St. Pierre told him after the fight that he was not retiring, and added “there will be a rematch. GSP did not retire on Saturday night.”Tags: Dana White, georges st. pierre, gsp, johny hendricks, mma, MMA NEWS, ufc, ufc news, ufc tonight