| The UFC’s traditional pre-event countdown show will premiere tonight for the first time on FOX Sports 1 with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis 2”.The one-hour special will give the fans an inside look into many of this weekend’s main card bouts, including the headlining lightweight title fight between Champion Benson Henderson (18-2 MMA, 7-0 UFC) and challenger Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC).
The “Countdown” will first air at 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT) and is set to replay throughout the week on FOX Sports 2, as well as on regional FOX Sports Net affiliates.
This spectacular card is scheduled to take place this Saturday at Milwaukee’s Bradley Center. The five-fight main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.
The main event between Henderson and Pettis is a long awaited rematch as Pettis defeated Henderson back in December 2011 to win the WEC lightweight title on the promotion’s final event. However, timing is everything and since then Henderson has rattled off seven consecutive wins inside the UFC, including three title defenses. Pettis has put together some nice wins as well but injuries and a close loss to Clay Guida have kept him from fighting for the UFC strap. Finally, the wait is over and the rematch is here.
Pettis originally deciding to drop to featherweight and fight Jose Aldo for the featherweight strap at UFC 163, but he again suffered an injury that forced him out of that bout. Fortunately for Pettis, UFC #1 lightweight title contender TJ Grant also suffered an injury that forced him out of his fight with Benson and Pettis was well enough to step in. He’ll now get the chance to dethrone Henderson in front of him hometown fans in Milwaukee.
Catch all the background and inside story lines on “Countdown to UFC 164” tonight on FOX Sports 1.
Here is how the UFC 164 card sits:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis – for UFC lightweight title
- Josh Barnett vs. Frank Mir
- Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
- Ben Rothwell vs. Brandon Vera
- Erik Koch vs. Dustin Poirier
- Gleison Tibau vs. Jamie Varner
- Tim Elliott vs. Louis Gaudinot
- Pascal Krauss vs. Hyun Gyu Lim
- Chico Camus vs. Kyung Ho Kang
- Nikita Krylov vs. Soa Palelei
- Ryan Couture vs. Al Iaquinta
- Magnus Cedenblad vs. Jared Hamman Anthony Pettis, benson henderson, Countdown to UFC 164, Jake Chastain, MMA NEWS, UFC 164, ufc news
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:30 p.m. ET)