The date in which Chris Weidman will have his inaugural middleweight title defense (immediate rematches notwithstanding) against Vitor Belfort has yet to be finalized, but the smart money is on the month of May.
Weidman previously told UFC President Dana White that he would prefer to have the fight take place prior to the summer months, so that he might have a “normal summer” with his family and friends. So far, he looks to be getting his wish.
White spoke on the subject during a media gathering in New York this past Thursday, saying that UFC 173 on May 24th is the event that they’re leaning towards.
Now, considering how unstoppable Vitor and Chris have looked recently, coupled with the controversy of Vitor’s TRT usage, a pay-per-view with Weidman and Belfort as the main event will no doubt be worth every penny. But just in case you were on the fence about shelling out the dough for your umpteenth PPV event, Dana White just made one side of that fence a lot more attractive: Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva and “The American Gangster” Chael P. Sonnen will “likely” be on the card as well.
That is, if they can make it to the card without killing one-another. There’s already been a melee between the two men, and although we won’t know exactly what happened until The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 goes on the air, we do know that a member of Wanderlei’s entourage “sucker punched” Chael.
“Wanderlei and Chael fought. Just today. They literally fought,” White hesitantly said during a media luncheon with on Monday.
“While they were fighting, one of Wanderlei’s guys sucker punched Chael,” White continued. “It went on for a while.”
Dana went on to say that there would be some level of punishment for the brouhaha, but said we would have to “tune in to TUF” to find out what it would be, and who it would be against.
Hook. Line. Sinker.Tags: Chael Sonnen, Chris Weidman, Dana White, mma, MMA NEWS, TUF, tuf brazil, ufc, ufc news, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva