By Christopher Murphy @MurphMMA
Josh Thomson is not the only one interested in a fight between him and Anthony ‘Showtime’ Pettis, it seems. Pettis told MMAFighting.com that he has no qualms taking on ‘The Punk’ in an October matchup to solidify the number one contender at 155.
“Thomson called me out,” said Pettis (16-2). “I’m never afraid to fight anyone, and I’m tired of waiting. If I’m supposed to be the best, then why not beat him in October? [The fight would] set me up for a title shot late this year or early next.”
Of course, Pettis explained, the fight is not the perfect return for action.
“Only bad thing is no one really knows who he is.”
Thomson (20-5) has been actively campaigning this fight for a while, taking to various news outlets and Twitter to call out Pettis.
For Pettis, an October fight would mark a return to action after a brief hiatus and injury. After defeating Joe Lauzon and Donald Cerrone both in devastating fashion, Pettis decided to wait for a shot at Ben Henderson’s lightweight title. When then-Strikeforce champion, Gilbert Melendez, joined the UFC and jumped the line for the title shot, Pettis decided to drop to 145 lbs. for a shot at Jose Aldo’s belt. Pettis was forced out of this fight when he tore his meniscus.
Thomson is coming of a stunning TKO win over Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 7. The second round stoppage over Diaz marked the first time the Stockton, CA native had been stopped due to strikes.
Pettis returned to training Tuesday, and he said that he didn’t feel any pain in his knee. He also stated that the UFC has yet to officially offer him the Thomson fight, but he thinks it is only a matter of time.
“I don’t see them not doing it,” he said of the UFC.
The fight certainly promises excitement and action; whether the two will face off, and when, remains to be seen.Tags: anthony "showtime" pettis, Anthony Pettis, Josh Thomson, mma, MMA NEWS, ufc, ufc news