On Friday morning, the 22 fighters competing on Saturday night’s UFC 203 took to the scales to weigh in for battle (they’ll take the scales again for the unofficial, ceremonial weigh-ins later today).
The card, which will emanate from Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena, will be headlined by a heavyweight title fight between Cleveland-based champion Stipe Miocic and accomplished veteran Alistair Overeem. Co-headlining honors will go to former champion Fabricio Werdum, and Travis Browne, who stepped up to replace an injured Ben Rothwell on short notice. The rest of the main card, meanwhile, will see WWE star CM Punk make his MMA debut against the young Mickey Gall, while rising bantamweight Jimmie Rivera takes a big step up against Urijah Faber, and Scotland’s Joanne Calderwood takes on Jessica Andrade in a compelling strawweight showdown. The undercard, finally features some of the UFC’s best talent, from veterans, to contenders, to prospects.
The real story of this weigh-in event was that Overeem was several minutes late to the scale, which earned him a fine of $500, but thankfully didn’t force the cancellation of his title bout with Miocic, as it would have in the state of Nevada. It’s also worth noting that, despite worries to the contrary, CM Punk made weight without issue. The pro wrestling veteran’s scrap with Mickey Gall is officially a go.
Here are the official weigh-in results for tomorrow night’s card:
Main card | 10 p.m. ET on Pay-Per-View
- Stipe Miocic (246) vs. Alistair Overeem (248.5)
- Fabricio Werdum (239.5) vs. Travis Browne (241)
- CM Punk (170) vs. Mickey Gall (170.5)
- Urijah Faber (136) vs. Jimmie Rivera (135.5)
- Joanne Calderwood (116) vs. Jessica Andrade (115.5)
Televised Prelims | 8 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1
- Jessica Eye (135) vs. Bethe Correia (135)
- Nik Lentz (156) vs. Michael McBride (158) (McBride surrenders 20% of his purse to Lentz for missing weight)
- Brad Tavares (186) Caio Magalhaes (185.5)
- CB Dollaway (205) vs. Francimar Barroso (205.5)
Fight Pass Prelims | 7 p.m. ET on UFC Fight Pass
- Yancy Medeiros (171) vs. Sean Spencer (170)
- Drew Dober (155) vs. Jason Gonzalez (156)
Which of UFC 203’s 11 fights are you most excited for? Sound off, PENN nation!