10th-ranked UFC light heavyweight contender Patrick Cummins was expected to return to the cage against 7th-ranked light heavyweight contender and fellow wrestling specialist Corey Anderson on the undercard of the stacked UFC 217 this November 4th. Regrettably, Cummins has been forced off the card with a “mutant staph infection” that he claims not even IV antibiotics are combatting.
Cummins shared this unfortunate update on his social media channels, along with a pair of photos that show him hooked up to an IV bag with a brutally swollen leg.
— Patrick Cummins (@OfficialDurkin) October 17, 2017
“IV antibiotics haven’t touched my mutant staph infection,” Cummins said in his social media posts. “UFC 217 isn’t gunna happen for me. Sorry everyone.”
Patrick Cummins is currently on a two-fight streak, having recently picked up decision wins over fellow contender Gian Villante and Jan Blachowicz. This streak, meanwhile, was preceded by a pair of losses to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Glover Teixeira.
Corey Anderson, meanwhile, has not fought since March, when he was brutalized by British knockout artist Jimi Manuwa. This loss was preceded by a win over Sean O’Connell. At the moment, no replacement opponent for Anderson has been found.
Here is the UFC 217 bill as it currently stands:
The Main Card | 10:00 pm ET / 7:00 pm PT on pay-per-view
- Michael Bisping (C) vs. Georges St-Pierre – for the UFC middleweight title
- Cody Garbrandt (C) vs. T.J. Dillashaw – for the UFC bantamweight title
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk (C) vs. Rose Namajunas – for the UFC women’s strawweight title
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Stephen Thompson
- Paulo Borrachinha vs. Johny Hendricks
The Prelims | 8:00 pm ET / 5:00 pm PT on FS1
- Joseph Duffy vs. James Vick
- Mark Godbeer vs. Walt Harris
- Ion Cutelaba vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk
- Randy Brown vs. Mickey Gall
The Early Prelims | 6:30 pm ET / 3:30 pm PT on UFC Fight Pass
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Aleksei Oleinik
- Corey Anderson vs. TBA
- Ricardo Ramos vs. Aiemann Zahabi