Matt Brown issues statement on withdrawal from Carlos Condit fight, promises they’ll meet in the future

Matt Brown

By now, you’ve probably heard the news. Days after news broke that Tony Ferguson had been forced out of his UFC 223 fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov, we lost a similarly anticipated matchup as Matt Brown has been forced out of his UFC Glendale scrap with Carlos Condit with a torn ACL.

Late Monday evening, Brown confirmed this news, which was first reported by Ariel Helwani.

“Wish it was all April Fools but I did tear my ACL over the weekend,” Brown said in his Tweet. “I hope [Carlos Condit] gets an opponent and doesn’t have to lose out on the opportunity. We’ll do it for sure when I’m back.”

Brown then issued a followup statement, explaining that, while this is certainly an unfortunate twist, he’s still happy about the life he leads.

“No need to send me a message with ‘I’m sorry,'” he said. “This is hardly something to be sorry about, I still live a great life and am blessed to be doing what I do daily. These kinds of obstacles are to be expected along this road. I will get past it and ultimately benefit from it somehow.”

Matt Brown last fought in November, when he thumped Diego Sanchez in a 2017 knockout of the year contender. This win was preceded by stoppage losses to Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone, Jake Ellenberger and Demian Maia. Brown is currently 21-16 in sum.

Carlos Condit, meanwhile, last fought in December, when he gave up a decision to Neil Magny in his long awaited return to the cage. In his next most recent bouts, he succumbed to a Demian Maia submission, and gave up a ridiculously close decision to then champion Robbie Lawler. His last win occurred in May of 2015, when he defeated Thiago Alves by TKO. Condit is 30-11 overall.

Do you still want to see Carlos Condit and Matt Brown fight in the future?

This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 4/3/2018.