Mark Hunt turns down $400,000 to go away

March 18, 2016 11:44 am by Frank Trigg
Mark Hunt

Mark Hunt turned down $400,000 to quit the UFC and move on to the next stage of his life.

Dana White recently told the Daily Telegraph he offered Hunt $400,000 saying: “We thought that was enough money to make him go away”.

Hunt is headlining UFC Brisbane against Frank Mir on Sunday and White opened up to Round 6 about the conversation they had 6 years ago.

When the UFC purchased PRIDE, where Hunt was still under contract, White called him hoping he would take a $400,000 buy out. It made sense since Mark had been on a losing streak that lasted four years and five fights.

If Hunt stayed he would only make $6,000 per fight far less then he made in PRIDE but that was his worth at the time.

“So we thought 400 grand was enough to make him go away,’’ White laughs. “But you all know what happened, Mark refused.
“He told me something like ‘no way, f … that shit. I love fighting, it’s who I am’.


About BJPENN.com

Shouted out after victory to the UFC masses, BJPENN.COM is the home to multiple time champion BJ Penn. After a decade of on-line operation BJPENN.COM has evolved into the most reliable destination for all your fighter interviews, fighter blogs and MMA/UFC news stories.

Advertise with us

For all advertising inquiries click here.

About us

Please contact us for all website inquiries.