UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may currently be gearing up for his UFC 212 fight with Max Holloway on June 3rd to unify the interim and undisputed featherweight titles, however the UFC veteran has some long term plans of his own.
After being knocked out in just 13 seconds by Conor McGregor at UFC 194 back in 2015, Aldo won the interim featherweight title by defeating Frankie Edgar in McGregor’s absence. After Conor McGregor won the lightweight title, choosing to vacate the 145 pound title, Aldo was promoted to the undisputed champion. With that being said, Aldo has continued to hunt down a rematch with McGregor, who is currently sidelined due to the upcoming birth of his firstborn child.
“Man, a superfight is always good for me,” Aldo said during a media scrum in Brazil on Thursday. “I have a superfight in mind. That’s what matters today, money in the pocket. I’m the champion and will continue being the champion, so I want to do do big fights. I have a project after this fight. I’ll sit and talk to the UFC. If they approve it, it will be great.”
“It’s a secret.”
When pressed about the secret, Aldo revealed that UFC President Dana White is reportedly on board with the secret plan, saying:
“I wanna see if his word once again won’t be fulfilled,” Aldo said. “I have an agreement with him. We’ll see. First I’ll focus on Holloway, and after that I’ll talk to him and we’ll see what happens.”
Of course, as previously mentioned, Aldo will have to get through streaking interim featherweight champion Max Holloway, who has been on a tear of the 145 pound division over the course of the last 3 years, going on a 10-fight win streak that most recently saw him capture the interim featherweight title.
This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 3/17/2017.