Dana White fires back at Demetrious Johnson

June 10, 2017 8:22 am by Evan Bell
Dana White

The ongoing feud between the UFC brass and UFC flyweight kingpin Demetrious Johnson continues this week as UFC President Dana White has now fired back at Mighty Mouse following his lengthy public letter in which he called out the UFC brass for unfair treatment of him throughout negotiations of his next fight.

Demetrious Johnson talks to Brian Stann

He summarized by saying:

“I agreed to their tyrannical demand to fight Ray Borg and Ray also agreed.

UFC has refused to give me PPV points on any future flyweight bouts, and has never given me any PPV points on previous bouts. My request was fair and the matchmaker in charge of the flyweight and bantamweight division agreed.

I gave UFC fair conditions to change the fight to TJ Dillashaw and they refused.”

In addition, Johnson accused the UFC brass of threatening to shut down the flyweight division, something that didn’t sit too well with the champ.

Now, UFC President Dana White has fired back at Johnson in an interview with TMZ, saying:

Demetrious Johnson, Mighty Mouse

“The media claims he’s the pound for pound best fighter in the world,” White said, per TMZ. “I think Conor McGregor is the pound for pound best fighter in the world.”

“He didn’t want Pay-Per-View. He wanted upfront money, no Pay-Per-View,” White said. “He wasn’t very confident in his abilities to sell Pay-Per-Views. He has the lowest-selling Pay-Per-View in the history of the UFC in the modern era.”

“I think a fight between him and T.J. Dillashaw would be something that people would actually be interested in and could sell Pay-Per-Views and could make money. But he absolutely refuses to fight the guy. It’s ridiculous.”

“We’re not marketing him right? We built a TV show around him. ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ was about what an incredible fighter he is. We put him on Fox many times and tried to build him and it is what it is. It’s not me.”

We’ve been talking about shutting down the flyweight division for about three years.

“And, never once did I threaten him to shut down the division. I told him that we had been talking about shutting down the division for years. He knows that.”

This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 6/10/2017.


About BJPENN.com

Shouted out after victory to the UFC masses, BJPENN.COM is the home to multiple time champion BJ Penn. After a decade of on-line operation BJPENN.COM has evolved into the most reliable destination for all your fighter interviews, fighter blogs and MMA/UFC news stories.

Advertise with us

For all advertising inquiries click here.

About us

Please contact us for all website inquiries.