Helwani gave his update on the MMA Hour on Monday reiterated that the immediate rematch is still in the works. Helwani said, “Oh by the way, it’s not happening at a more natural 155-pounds. It’s happening at 170-pounds and an interesting thing has happened since I put out this report. Of course, a lot of other media sources confirmed it and that’s all well and good, and they did it right, they credited, I have no beef. But, a lot of what was said and reported was incorrect. By the time that the news came out, a lot of people said they are working on it, but there were no contracts, they verbally agreed. I can assure you that the contracts had already been issued, not signed, but anyone who told you that there were no contracts issued, thus making it a little less of a real thing, that was inaccurate.”
Helwani went on to explain why the UFC is working on putting this fight together when a lot of fans think Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo deserve the match.
“And make no mistake about it, the reason that this fight is happening at 170-pounds is because, to be frank, Conor Mcgregor is a bit of a wild man,” Helwani added. “He wants, he is obsessed with the idea that he lost to Nate Diaz at 170-pounds. He feels like he should have won and he wants the same circumstances, same rules, same stipulations. He wants to do it again and he wants to prove that he is the better man.”
Although the UFC has not made an official announcement regarding the rematch, Helwani says that the news is expected to be released this week.
What are your thoughts on the immediate rematch between Conor Mcgregor and Nate Diaz? Share your thoughts in the comment section on the fight and what you as a fan want to see.