Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor II “highly likely” for Madison Square Garden

Conor McGregor Jose Aldo

It’s been 7 months since Conor McGregor knocked out Jose Aldo in just 13 seconds to claim the UFC featherweight championship in the main event of UFC 194.

Since then, McGregor went up to welterweight to fight Nate Diaz in the main event of UFC 196. In addition, the UFC also booked a rematch between the pair for UFC 202 on August 20th.

Earlier this month, Aldo secured himself a rematch with McGregor after defeating Frankie Edgar via unanimous decision on the main card of UFC 200. In the wake of his win over Edgar, Aldo revealed to media members that a rematch with McGregor will likely go down at UFC 205 at the Madison Square Garden.

MMAFighting has the quotes:

“If he loses (to Diaz), it’s highly likely that they put us to fight on November 12, at Madison Square Garden. The Irish community is big over there,” Aldo told the media during a media scrum in Rio de Janeiro. “But if he wins, I think they will do a third fight between them and ruin all my plans.”

“If I had to bet, it would be Nate again,” he said. “From what I saw he’s way bigger, stronger, and he’s training. He got that fight on short notice and still was able to win. Well trained, it’s really hard for McGregor. If you look at (Diaz’s) fights, even when he’s getting beat, he finds a way to come back. If I had to bet, it would be Nate.”

“He has to lose. Otherwise, they will do a third fight,” Aldo said. “I’m rooting for him to lose, of course. If he wins, they will do another rematch with Nate, and that’s bad. He has to lose. He has to lose. He will lose.”