Several weeks ago, the MMA community was thrown into a frenzy when news surfaced on social media that UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor was knocked out in training in preparation for his UFC 205 scrap with lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez. The report was quickly debunked as it was discovered that the initial source of the news was a fan who was giving out false information.
Despite that, there had been no word from McGregor’s camp regarding the rumors. With that being said, UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez was quick to take to social media to react to the news, saying:
I heard of realistic fight simulation training but this is Next level shit !!! Lmao … This happened to me before too , rest up Be safe👊👊
— Eddie Alvarez (@Ealvarezfight) October 10, 2016
Now, in an interview with The42, SBG Ireland head coach John Kavanagh spoke about the situation, saying:
“That’s what he was doing that day, it was a rest day, and I knew he had that commission hearing or whatever. And he swung by the gym that evening. I said to him, that’s a rough day, $150,000 fine, and you got knocked out in training. So we kind of had a giggle about it.”
“It just picked up steam very very quickly, and then within minutes, my mother is ringing me saying ‘what the hell is up with Conor?!’ but, you just have to kind of smile at these things.”
Fortunately, McGregor was not knocked out during training, and his scheduled headlining fight with Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 on November 12th will proceed as planned, where McGregor will have the opportunity to make UFC history as the first man to simultaneously hold two belts in two weight classes.
This week, UFC President Dana White revealed that the event had actually already set gate records at the Madison Square Garden, despite the fact that the event is still two weeks away.
McGregor’s fight with Alvarez is expected to headline the historic card at the present time.