BJPENN COM

Bellator

Wednesday, 01/11/2012, 01:00 pm

MMA NEWS – Eddie Alvarez Not Entering Season 6 Bellator Tournament; Aoki Rematch Possible


“Ed won’t be part of the next tournament during the March kickoff,” Rebney said. “The decision was reached between us that the next right step wouldn’t be to jump back in the season-tournament right now.” “We’re still talking very regularly about the Aoki fight,” he said. “We’ve been talking to DREAM about making it happen, so it could still happen as his next fight.”

Former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez will not be participating in season six of Bellator’s lightweight tournament. The news comes via Bellator CEO, Bjorn Rebney, who spoke to MMAJunkie.com earlier.

Eddie Alvarez was last seen at Bellator 58, in one of the best fights of the year, as he battled Michael Chandler for four rounds before being submitted via rear naked choke. The loss ended a two and a half year unbeaten streak, as Alvarez was crowned the promotions first lightweight champion in June of 2009. If the fight with Aoki gets inked, it’s unclear as to whether Bellator or Dream will play host, but Bellator officials have been keen on making this fight for quite sometime.

Aoki and Alvarez fought back in 2008 at the K-1 Dynamite Show on New Years Eve, where Aoki was able to submit Alvarez with a heel hook in the first round. Since then, Alvarez has gone 7-1 with notable wins over Toby Imada, Josh Neer, Roger Huerta, and Pat Curran. Meanwhile, Aoki has been on quite a tear himself, as he’s gone 11-2 with key wins over Joachim Hansen, Tatsuya Kawajiri, and Zuffa cast off’s Razor “Rob” McCullough, and Rich Clementi.
//

comments


Latest News