MacDonald Tells Penn "Keep it Professional and Go Through My Manager" | UFC News
Rory MacDonald called future UFC Hall of Famer, BJ Penn out of retirement but unfortunately the injury bug in the UFC strikes again. There would be no way Rory MacDonald is able to fight the former UFC 2 division champ, BJ Penn on Sept 22 as scheduled. He explained the extremity of his injury and what went down on the MMA Hour:
“You know when you have a gut feeling when something happens?
I felt it and then I kind of knew. I didn’t move and I hit him or whatever, and then I just kind of stopped and then I watched the blood just kind of like spurt out sporadically. And then, I know when that happens that it’s deep. It was spraying. So I just kind of sat there, I knew, I just knew that I was screwed.”
Rory MacDonald states his injury wouldn’t make it possible for a bout opposite BJ Penn on Oct 13 in Rio de Janerio as Penn suggested:
“Does that maybe give me two weeks of training?
What I don’t get about him is how he can come off telling me what’s fair and what’s not when he doesn’t know the situation.
He wasn’t there, he didn’t talk to my doctors, he didn’t see it, so he makes this statement online to get all his followers excited. And really he doesn’t know the situation here, he should keep it professional and go through my manager and know what I have to say behind closed doors. Basically the earliest I can fight is November.”
Rory goes further in explaining that’s not a risk he wants to take this young into his career if he returns too soon.
“The way this cut is, it’s a deep cut like I explained.
But, you know, if I got re-injured and re-injured and re-injured if I went in too early that could be a problem later on down in my career.
So it could re-open in fights, re-open in training, It could be an issue I don’t want it to be around.”
MacDonald won’t hold it against Penn if he doesn’t want to wait until November or if Penn decides to take another matchup understanding there are other options out there for BJ if he wants to take them. Rory says he’d very much like to keep the matchup intact if Penn will wait for UFC 154.
“Fight who you want to fight, it’s up to B.J. at this point. But, I’m ready to fight. If he wants to hold off a couple months or whatever I’ll be there, I’ll be more than willing to make this happen. I’m still going to fight someone at the end of the day.”
Fire your thoughts PENN Nation.