| The UFC has announced that two middleweight contenders will place their reputations and winning-streaks on the line in September as Francis Carmont will meet Constatinos Philippou at UFC 165 in Toronto.
The news was confirmed by UFC officials today (July 30th).
Carmont (21-7, 5-0 UFC) will be placing his 10 fight winning streak on the line as he faces one of the scariest and most feared strikers in the organization, Costa Philippou, in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre on September 21st. Francis is coming off of a controversial unanimous decision victory over Lorenz Larkin in April. That victory pushed his UFC record to 5-0 and a win over Philippou will likely place him at the top of the contention ladder in the middleweight division. But that is no small task to handle as Philippou is also riding a nice streak of his own.
Philippou (12-2, 5-1 UFC) is also riding a five fight winning streak and is currently ranked #7 in the UFC’s middleweight division rankings. A sixth straight victory for Costa, especially over an opponent riding a 10-fight winning streak like Carmont, could very well place him at the very front of the contention line. Philippou has been on a tear as of late with his most recent victory coming over Tim Boetsch by way of knock-out. He was scheduled to meet Ronald Souza in May but was injured a week before that fight. He’ll now make his return against Carmont in a fight that could launch the winner to the top of the division.
UFC 165 is scheduled for September 21st in Toronto and will be headlined by two title fights; UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones will defend his belt against Alexander Gustafsson and UFC Interm-Bantamweight Champion Renan Barao will place his strap on the line against Eddie Wineland.
With the addition of Philippou vs. Carmont here is how the fight card for UFC 165 now stands:
- Light Heavyweihgt Championship: Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson
- Interim Bantamweight Championship: Renan Barao vs. Eddie Wineland
- Matt Mitrione vs. Brendan Schaub
- Pat Healy vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Francis Carmont vs. Constantinos Philippou
- Myles Jury vs. Mike Ricci
- Ivan Menjivar vs. Norifumi Yamamoto
- Chris Clements vs. Stephen Thompson
- Mitch Gagnon vs. Dustin Kimura
- Renee Forte vs. John Makdessi
- Mark Bocek vs. Michel Prazeres
- Nandor Guelmino vs. Daniel Omielanczuk