Dana White Explains Mitrione’s Short Lived Suspension
The news broke Thursday that Matt Mitrione will be fighting Brendan Schaub at UFC on FOX 8. Less than three weeks ago, the UFC suspended Mitrione’s contract after the fighter degraded Fallon Fox, a transgender fighter who had been making headlines recently, on a talk show interview.
In the media scrum leading up to UFC on FOX 7 last week, White stated that Mitrione was still on suspension. Only yesterday, he spoke to MMA Junkie explaining the lifted suspension.
“Normally how this works is my Twitter starts blowing up. I don’t watch everything that goes on and hear everything that goes on. So then I start hearing about it, and [the UFC’s Public Relations Department] comes to us and says, ‘This guy just did this and this guy just said that,’ so I’ve got to get the whole crew together. We sit down, we look at what was said, and we put together a game plan of what we’re going to do.”
Mitrione has remained quiet since his suspension, and Dana White addressed why the fighter apologized to the UFC privately instead of making a public apology.
“I don’t tell anybody to do anything. If a guy comes out and says something stupid, I don’t go to him and say, ‘Here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to apologize, and you’re going to do this and that.’ You can’t make somebody apologize. If I make him do it, it’s not real.
“We’re all going to make mistakes. That’s normal. But how do you handle yourself after you make the mistake?”
The UFC has not released an official statement on the matter.