BJPENN COM

MMA News

Tuesday, 05/21/2013, 11:05 am

Comments

Confirmed: Injury Forces Interim Champ Renan Barao Out of UFC 161

 

UFC Interim bantamweight champion, Renan Barao (30-1) has officially been removed from the main event of UFC 161. Dana White confirmed that he had been pulled Barao was scheduled to fight Eddie Wineland (20-8-1) in his second interim title defense.

Word of Barao’s injury was revealed earlier this week when the interim champion sustained a foot injury. Now, we know that the foot injury was a series of torn ligaments in his foot.

With UFC 161 just a few weeks away, the UFC will scramble to fill the void left by Barao’s absence. Urijah Faber has come out offereing to be a replacement for Barao. This would be a rematch of the UFC 128 co-main event as Faber beat Wineland in a three-round unanimous decision.

UFC 161 takes place on June 15th at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Canada.

 

For the latest MMA news visit BJPENN.com

comments

7 Comments to Confirmed: Injury Forces Interim Champ Renan Barao Out of UFC 161

  1. squid says:

    damn that sux

  2. Kuniva says:

    The “main event” got cancelled eh…as a winnipegger I can tell u no one bough tickets to see barao or wineland

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>