Brock Lesnar Returns Dec. 30 Against Alistair Overeem
A two-for-one major announcement was just made by UFC officials moments ago.
First of which is that former UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar, is healed up from his most recent bout with diverticulitis and ready to return to action.
The second announcement is that the UFC has apparently secured former Strikeforce and DREAM heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem.
The two have agreed to face off in a five-round main event on Friday Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream matchup,” Overeem told The Times on Tuesday, just after signing a standard UFC fight contract in the office of Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta. “Brock’s a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns.
“I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I’m a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course.”
Lesnar hasn’t seen the inside of a cage since his October, 2010 loss to current heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. He was scheduled to return earlier this year in the post-Ultimate Fighter coaches square off against Junior Dos Santos, however a relapse of diverticulitis had sidelined the NCAA Division 1 National Champion and forced the withdrawal.
“This is the fight the fans want,” UFC President Dana White said to the LA Times. “Both of these guys are monsters. Can Lesnar take Overeem down?”
Overeem hasn’t lost a professional MMA bout in 4-years. The oversized K-1 Grand Prix champion was last seen in a unanimous decision victory over Fabricio Werdum in his last appearance for the Strikeforce promotion. After being cut from the roster due to failed contract negotiations, he has apparently come to terms with the ZUFFA brass and will make his new home the UFC where he can make or break his case as the best heavyweight fighter on the planet.