Boston Bans Minors From Attending MMA Events- White and UFC Respond
The Boston City Council passed a resolution on Wednesday that bans children under 16 years of age from attending any MMA event- professional or amateur- without adult supervision.
By Christopher Murphy @MurphMMA
Just days after the UFC held its second live event in the city of Boston, Massachusetts, city council members unanimously voted a ban on children under the age of 16 from attending any MMA event without adult supervision.
Under the direction of Boston City Council president Steven Murphy, the vote passed Wednesday. Murphy had previously sought to ban any minor under the age of 18.
“This Murphy guy,” UFC President Dana White said in an interview with MMAJunkie.com, “you elect a politician to hopefully go out and bring in jobs, create revenue in your city, bring in events that bring revenue to your city. This guy comes out and he’s saying all this shit like ’18 and under’ and all this other stuff they’re doing to us. Then sure enough, this hearing, 25 of the Culinary Union members are there. And this guy busts out a video of Chael Sonnen talking about Anderson Silva in Brazil. First of all, this is the fight business. This isn’t the nice business. This is the fight business.”
White alludes to Culinary 226, a Las Vegas based union of culinary and hotel workers who the UFC has accused of harassing and undermining the organization for a number of years (more information here). The UFC alleges the union for lobbying politicians in New York, the only state that holds a ban on MMA, and now, it seems, in Boston as well.
“There are people here tonight from Brazil, Mexico, Australia, California, Canada. There’s people staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, shopping in malls. They’re creating revenue for the city of Boston. It’s just fucking crazy.”
Indeed UFC Fight Night 26, which took place this past Saturday, August 17, generated a gate of $1.53 million. Over 12.5 thousand people attended the fights. As White points out, the sheer number of people in attendance undoubtedly helped boost the Boston economy.
“This guy’s a complete hypocrite and a total jackass,” White said about the city council president. “This Murphy guy is a jackass.”
The UFC has since released a statement, which appears below, asking the Boston City Council to consider revoking its decision.
The non-binding resolution merely concludes that the city of Boston should follow existing state law. However, the Ultimate Fighting Championship is extremely disappointed that the non-binding resolution is filled with blatant inaccuracies and falsehoods. The UFC organization finds it shocking that Councilor Murphy would present such a misleading document for consideration to the City Council.
UFC is proud of the recent event it put on at the TD Garden, which was televised around the world. By all measures, the event was a resounding success, generating millions of dollars in economic benefit for the community and cast the great city of Boston in a positive light.
Councilor Murphy’s resolution demonstrates a complete lack of understanding about what mixed martial arts is, the amazing world class athletes that compete in the sport, and the many benefits it brings to a community. There is clearly a reason why MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Consequently, it is unfortunate that Councilor Murphy’s actions caused the Boston City Council to be manipulated by a union based in Las Vegas, Nevada. We would hope that the City Council, once it learns the truth about MMA and all of the positive aspects of the sport, would consider revoking this non-binding resolution.
*It should be noted, Boston City Council President, Steven Murphy, bears no relation to this story’s author.
0 Responses to “Boston Bans Minors From Attending MMA Events- White and UFC Respond”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.