After Promising TRT Would Be Approved, White Now Says Belfort Has To Fight With or Without It
The debate over whether testosterone replacement therapy should be legal in the sport of mixed martial arts is a polarizing one. And in the middle of that magnetic field is Vitor Belfort, a fighter who carries the cross for TRT usage every time he enters the Octagon.
That cross, however, could get a lot heavier in the next few days.
For his last three Octagon appearances, Belfort has been in the country of Brazil – a country in which Belfort has obtained a therapeutic use exemption. But his next fight – a championship bout against the newly crowned middleweight king, Chris Weidman at UFC 173 – will be in the state of Nevada; a state in which Belfort had previously tested positive for 4-Hydroxytestosertone, an anabolic steroid (this was following a loss to Dan Henderson at Pride 32 in Las Vegas, in 2006). And that blemish could very well cause the Nevada State Athletic Commission to deny his request for a TRT exemption for his title fight.
Dana White is adamant, however, that – with or without his TRT – Vitor Belfort will be fighting, come May 24th.
And if Belfort decided to skip out on the fight, after being denied his TRT exemption?
“That would be a problem if he turned it down if he doesn’t get the exemption,” White told reporters, Thursday in Las Vegas.
“The government is gonna come in and tell Vitor Belfort what he can and can’t do. And if they say he can’t [use TRT], then he [expletive] can’t. And he’s gonna fight in Vegas and he’s gonna fight Chris Weidman. Period.”
Get your popcorn ready, everyone. This could get interesting.