| Word just broke that Nick Ring has once again been forced to withdraw from an upcoming UFC fight. This time Ring (13-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) will be pulled from the UFC on FS1: 1 card slated for August 17th in Boston. Ring was supposed to take on TUF 17 runner-up Uriah Hall (7-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) on the card, but now we’re catching word that Hall will instead meet fellow castmate Josh Samman (10-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC). MMAJunkie.com first confirmed the news with sources close to the bout and the UFC is likely going to make the switch official very soon.
Samman made his UFC debut at the TUF 17 Finale where he defeated Kevin Casey via 2nd round TKO. That fight followed his semi-final TUF tournament loss to eventual winner, Kelvin Gastelum. Samman was expected to meet Hall in the finals of the show but his loss to Gastelum in the semis derailed those plans. But now, it looks like we’ll get to see that fight after all.
Hall will still be searching for his first official UFC win after dropping his first official UFC fight to Gastelum in the TUF 17 Finale via a split-decision loss. Prior to that, though, Hall smashed everyone he faced on the show heading into the finals. He’ll head into his fight opposite Sammon with a lot of pressure and high expectations riding on his shoulders. Hall is a highly touted striker but he’ll likely be tested by Samman’s grappling skills in this bout. We’ll see how this one plays out on August 17th.
Nick Ring, on the other hand, has been plagued by inuries his entire UFC career. He was looking to get back in the win column after dropping a split-decision to Chris Camozzi at UFC 158 in Montreal. That was his second loss in his last three fights. We’ll keep an eye on Ring in future to see what the exact cause of his withdraw from this fight was and when he’ll return.
UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 takes place August 17th at TD Garden in Boston. The show will be the UFC’s debut on the new FOX Sports 1 cable network, which launches the same day. Here is how the card now stands:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Mauricio Rua vs. Chael Sonnen
- Travis Browne vs. Alistair Overeem
- Yuri Alcantara vs. Urijah Faber
- Thiago Alves vs. Matt Brown
- Uriah Hall vs. Josh Samman*
- Michael “The Menace” Johnson vs. Joe Lauzon
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)
- Michael McDonald vs. Brad Pickett
- Conor McGregor vs. Andy Ogle
- Mike Brown vs. Akira Corassani
- Diego Brandao vs. Daniel Pineda
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)
- Manny Gamburyan vs. Cole Miller
- Cody Donovan vs. Ovince St. Preux
- Ramsey Nijem vs. James Vick
* Not officially announcedJake Chastain, Josh Samman, MMA NEWS, Nick Ring, UFC in Boston, ufc news, UFC on FOX Sports 1, UFC on FS1-1, uriah hall