UFC Boss Confirms They Have Cut Ties With Cris “Cyborg” Santos | UFC NEWS
Cris “Cyborg” Santos will no longer fight in the UFC. UFC President Dana White confirmed that the fighter has been released at the UFC on Fuel TV 7: Barao vs. McDonald Pre-Fight Press Conference that happened Feb. 13 in London.
White wasn’t happy that Santos refuses to make 135 pounds for a fight against Ronda Rousey, who is the UFC women’s bantamweight champion.
“I’m telling you right now, she wants nothing to do with this fight with Ronda (Rousey). This is the biggest show in the world. We’re working with her to get her a deal or whatever. When you send a letter from your lawyer and your doctor saying I will die if I try to make 135 (pounds), it’s just the goofiest thing. I’ve never seen anything like it in the fight business,” White said.
Santos tested positive for taking steroids last year. She was suspended for a year and was stripped of her women’s featherweight championship title for Strikeforce.
“Okay, so you don’t want to make 135, but you want to talk about fighting Ronda. First of all, you tested positive for steroids and got stripped of your title. And you’re trying to talk about how Ronda doesn’t want to fight you, but she’s the champion at 135. If Ronda goes and does the fight at 140 and does the fight at 140, it’s not even for a title. The fight just makes no sense,” White said.
White said at the conference that there is no 145-pound women’s division. He said that Santos is under contract and that they can get her fights elsewhere.
“Cyborg is pretty much irrelevant right now. She really is. She’s irrelevant. Go out there and win some fights again, get your name back, stay clean, stay off some steroids and get your career back on track and then we’ll talk. But for her to think that everybody should move around and jump through hoops for her is insane,” White said.